Tuesday 16 July 2013

Training update

My training over the last couple of weeks has been going largely to plan. I’ve been doing a lot of riding; according to my Strava been out nearly every other day during the last four weeks, spending over 21 hours in the saddle, climbing 15,000 ft and covering 335 miles at an average speed of 15.7mph.

For one reason or another, the one thing I’ve not managed in the last fortnight is a long, endurance ride. I’ve done 30 odd miles a few of times, but life has just got in the way to prevent a longer ride. Not ideal, but I’m not too worried. There are still nearly three weeks until the Ride100, and I hope to ride 50 miles this Friday, and again next Sunday.

Sunday was good fun, as Becca and Chris came over and we rode together. The only problem, other than the 30 degree heat, was the party I’d enjoyed rather too well on Saturday night. It turns out, though, a decent stretch of legs on a bike is quite a good hangover cure. This was our last ride together before the 4th of August, and was really helpful to practice our slipstreaming. What a difference it makes!

All the joining instructions for the Ride100 have now come through, plus more information from Cancer Research. I’ve worked out a schedule for the day to ride to, and am basically ready to go. Just got to hold my form and keep my weight where it is for two more weeks and I’ll be off. I really can’t wait.