Tuesday 30 July 2013

The finishing touches

I had a great weekend putting the finishing touches to my preparation for the Ride100.

On Sunday I did my last ‘endurance’ ride of my training programme, covering 50 miles at 16 mph (this ride on Strava). The wind blew, and the heavens opened at one point, but all went fine.

Chiltern back roads. And rain

The chance even arose to stop at Chorleywood Cricket Club on my way round and see Fraser bowl a couple of overs for the Cavaliers.

Cavs amongst the wickets

I went out for 15 miles as well tonight, and this largely brings my training to and end, maybe just one last spin later this week to complete the effort. My Strava logs all the time I’ve spent on my bike this year, training for the ride. And whilst it doesn’t include the gym and spinning work I did over the winter, it does shows this year on my road bike I have:

  • Completed 51 training rides, spending over 85 hours (three and a half solid days) in the saddle
  • Ridden over 1,250 miles, the equivalent of riding from London to Casablanca
  • Climbed nearly 52,000 ft, the same as riding from sea level to the top of Everest and Kilimanjaro!
None of which would have been possible without the support of my family, to whom I'm very grateful.

I’ll keep remembering all the training I've done, and the sacrifices made, come Sunday as I work my way around the 102 miles. I’ll also get inspiration from starting at the (Queen Elizabeth) Olympic Park, which is where I spent Friday night and Saturday for the Anniversary Games. It was great being back, and whilst much of the park is still a building site I could see across to the Copper Box, where ride starts on Sunday, and the Velodrome, scene of such cycling drama this time last year.

Back at the park last weekend. Where it will all start next weekend
 Roll on Sunday!!