Tuesday 2 July 2013

The longest ride; to Henley and back

I had a big circle drawn around Sunday, 23rd June in my training plan for many months. I've been trying to follow a training plan for the last couple of months to build towards the Ride100, and on this date it simply read "Endurance: 65-70% of event distance on a hilly course".

Why the big red circle? 70% of event distance (70 miles) is the longest single ride I needed to complete during my training. In itself, it stood out as a pretty unthinkable achievement just a year ago. For these reasons, I decided to try to do something special for this milestone.

I had an idea; why not ride to Henley and back? It was at Henley last March where I had the fitness test that suggested I really needed to change my lifestyle, an event that marked the first step on the journey that will culminate on The Mall in just five weeks time. And, as luck had it, Henley is 35 miles from Berkhamsted.

I made it - At Henley Business School
I planned a route, not going the easy way, rather cycling up to Stokenchurch and then down through the wonderful Hambleden Valley, a special place for my family and I. In my mind I pictured a glorious, sunny midsummer day to it in...

... yet the forecast leading up to the 23rd was far from promising. A high pressure system had just broken down, and a summer storm system had pushed in from the west. I was to be very lucky that the predicted rain held off, yet as I headed out on my ride into a really strong headwind I knew it was going to be hard work.

I push into the wind, though, riding the oh-so-familiar road to Tring before crossing to Wendover. From here it was out towards Chinnor, a dull road at the best of times, before hitting the long climb into the Chilterns and up to Stokenchurch. From there to Henley it was downhill all the way, through some of the very best scenery in the south of England.


I am, though, pretty biased, as one reason the Hambleden valley is so special for me is that my wife and I were married here. Another reason to take this route to Henley.

Leaving the valley behind it was a short but blustery cycle along the Thames valley before I turned into Henley Business School for a well earned bit of flapjack and a sit down. And then, it was largely the same route home.

5 hours 20mins after setting off, I made it home again. Removing the time taken for stops it took me 4 hours 40mins of cycling, an average of 15.1mph. Averaging 15mph, over 70 miles, with a headwind and 3,400ft of climbing, is something I'm still really proud of. It's probably my greatest sporting achievement since winning my primary school cross country, aged 10 (although I don't remember being quite so shattered following that). Here's my ride on Strava.



It was a huge day. A ride with real meaning, and one that gives me huge confidence as I look ahead to August 4th and the 102 miles that await. It gives me the confidence to think that I will be able to complete the challenge I set myself, and I will be able to collect the sponsorship from everyone who has so kindly support my efforts so far. Raising money for Cancer Research and the British Heart Foundation is why I'm doing this, and writing this blog, and all contributions are hugely appreciated. Our donation page for BHF is here, and Cancer Research is here.

A suitable reason for a traffic jam in my mind