Saturday 8 June 2013

Back on the bike

Last week I spent some time off the bike as we headed to Asturias, northern Spain, for a family holiday. I'd been keen to visit the Picos de Europa mountains for a while, yet it was pro-cycling that helped seal the deal. Mrs M saw the spectacular scenery during the coverage of the Vuelta last year and was sold on the idea.

Our travels took us to two spots in the mountains that were stage finishes in 2012; the stunning Funete De and the long climb up to Lagos de Covadonga. We passed a number of cyclists out tackling that climb last weekend - maybe that'll be me one day? In the meantime some pro-rider names remain painted on the road up to the lakes, with local boy Cobo being popular...

Lagos de Covadonga. Great for walking, great for a Vuelta stage finish

While I was away by bike had a holiday too. It went into the newly opened Lovelo Cycle Works in Berkhamsted for a service. A good independent cycle shop will be a great addition to Berko, so I was keen to support them. It's a venture with a lot of potential, and I'm really pleased with the job they've done. The bikes felt good this week.


A glorious evening for cycling. Open roads just south of Wing, Bucks

It's been a pleasure to be back on my bike, and back in glorious early British summer weather. I've managed three rides since collecting my bike: a 15 mile warm up on Wednesday, 16 hilly miles on Thursday and then 40 miles up to Bletchley and back last night. All felt really good (which is a relief after nearly two weeks off training), and only a few Spanish meals and beers left to burn off!