Thursday 9 May 2013

How early?

The logic is sound. I'm in the 12 week count down until the Ride100, and the training plan recommends one early morning ride a week. Why? The logic is doing a one hour ride a week pre-breakfast when fasted helps train the body to be more efficient at processing fat reserves when riding. So, if the carbs run low on the big day and I've got to rely on some of that difficult-to-process fat for energy, it won't be such a shock to the system.

Yep, sounds logical to me. The downside, clearly, is that this involves going out really early in the morning. Luckily it was a glorious morning today, and I was out on the road before 6:30am, to get an hour in pre-work.

All went well, though the headwind on the return loop wasn't helpful. I did a 16 mile loop with one decent climb in 1hr 02min, compared to 59mins when I last rode it with fuel in my belly. I definitely felt a little harder, but not too bad

And the best news? I set the fourth best time on a Strava segment. Fourth of no less than 799. Pleased with that.