Friday 22 March 2013

Thinking ahead

I'm trying not to let this weather get me down. It is so frustrating, though, not being able to get out on the road. I missed my ride last weekend, but never-mind as Becca and Chris were due to come over this weekend so we could ride on Sunday. However, the forecast of -6 and 15cm on snow tomorrow looks set to put pay to that. Surely I'll be able to get out for a long ride at some point over the long Easter weekend? It will be April...

In better news, though, I got an email yesterday launching the 2013 Oakman Inns Sportive. Oakman are a great local pub and restaurant group and Mrs M and I have enjoyed eating in their restaurants for many years, especially when I was living in Tring 10 years or so ago and the original Forno Vivo became a second home! They've long supported local sports, mainly Tring Rugby Club, and in 2011 started their own Cycle Sportive.

You've got mail


The 2012 edition was run in September and I rode the shorter 55km route with the rest of the Berko Dads' Bike Club. A very social ride, the route linked three Oakman pubs, all open for coffee and cakes.

Enjoying the 2012 Oakman Inns Cycle Sportive

From the look of it the 2013 event will be a more organised affair, even offering T-shirts when you finish. There's a 70km route which will be just right for my training for the RideLondon 100, as the 2013 date has been moved to early May. I'll be there, hopefully with Becca and Chris plus the rest of the Bike Club. And you never know, it may have finished snowing by then.