Sunday 3 March 2013

A landmark achievement

This morning I rode my first organised cycle ride of 2013, the 60th annual Harp Hilly Hundred. Wilf and I chose the 36 mile, 55km route, and completed the course in 2hrs 49mins. I'm sure we could have gone quicker, though had less fun, if we'd spent less time chatting.

As the name suggest, it was rather hilly (2,000ft of climbing), up and down the Chilterns, with a couple of wicked short, steep climbs (the route can be seen here). The sun even shone at times, with suggestions that Spring is on its way. All really pleasant.

Harp Hilly Hundred. Done.

I decided to ride the seven miles down the valley to the start point, and then ended up riding back after as well. These additional 14 miles gave me my landmark achievement of the day, a total distance of 50 miles. This is the first time I've ridden that far in one go. The total ride time of 3hrs 40mins, at 13.5 average mph, sets the benchmark for my summer of training (here's my full ride on Strava).

The goods news is that London to Brighton is only 52 miles so I'll be more than ready for that, and I was delighted yesterday morning to be able to secure places for Becca, Chris and I. 100 miles in eight hours, though... that really is going to take some serious training.